The babies are a week old and doing well. They put all four of them in one crib today for the interviews and are planning to leave them all together now. It's very fun to see them in a little line. I wonder though, do they want to be back together after being squished together for 32 weeks or did they like having their own space:) I would like to ask for extra prayers today for all four. They had their head ultrasounds yesterday to check for bleeds and the neonatologist told me today that all four are showing some mild brain bleeds. They are only grade 1 and germinal matrix bleeds and he really feels that we will never see any effects from them and that they will be improved by next week, but extra prayers never hurt. It is very common for preemies to have some bleeding in the brain so it is probably fine, but they will repeat head ultrasounds next week and check head circumfrence measurements frequently. In addition to the mild bleed, Brooklyn also showed some evidence of slightly increased cerebral spinal fluid in the 3rd ventricle. Pray, pray, pray that next week everything will show improvement!
Interviews went well I think. Guess will see when the news comes on. Being on T.V. is a little nerve racking. The interview for the paper wasn't so bad though. They didn't end up putting a teaser in today's paper in case anyone was looking for it, but they expect the full story to be in tomorrow's edition. I will try to post a link here tomorrow if it's on the online edition. The news stories will air tonight at 5 & 6 we were told on KLBK. Fox 34 was also there and I think their broadcast is at 9 and KCBD is broadcasting at 10. For those who are out of town, we have been told that you can watch it online.
The most exciting part of today was Jackson meeting his brothers and sisters. He was able to spend about an hour with them today before the media arrived and really once they arrived, he was pretty much done so he played with the nurses and the child life specialist (the nurses taught him to squirt water at people with a syringe). They all loved him and he had the best time being the center of attention as always.
He did not want to put on the yellow gowns that are required in the NICU, so he had to get in mine with me. When we walked over, to the babies, he wanted to meet the boys first, so we said hello and talked about the babies, then we proceeded to the girls. After meeting the girls he said,"I want to see my other babies," so I took him back to the boys, then he said,"No, that baby" and pointed to another baby in the unit. I told him that the baby was not ours, so he pointed to yet another one and asked," what about that one." Apparently he thought all the babies were ours (which I guess a lot of the babies in there are ours). Once we got the babies out of their beds, he got to kiss them and touch them a little bit. He was giving them lots of kisses on the cheeks and nose. He even got to hold one of his sisters with Daddy's help, although his attention span for this was not very long. He seemed to really like them all, but I think he got a little overwhelmed with all the people asking him about the babies and had to take a little break after a while. My favorite moment was when he asked if he could give a teddy bear to the babies when they were all in the same crib. It was very sweet! When we were leaving he told each baby good-bye and then he met their doctor. I told the doctor that on the way to the hospital, Jackson told me,"the doctor is feeding my babies so they can get big." The doctor was very nice and told Jackson that is exactly what he was doing. Then Jackson told him thank you! All in all a very successful and fun day. I was exhausted afterward though.
I promise to post pictures this evening (lots of them), but right now we are trying to get back out the door to go see babies one more time today (always on the run it seems like!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



So sorry to hear about the brain bleeds ... will pray that they don't get worse!! Keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteI think it will be fine, they are very small and very common in preemies, but continued prayers are always appreciated, they got us this far!
ReplyDelete