Friends and family have encouraged me to document this crazy journey we are on and to keep everyone up to date. You'll have to excuse the appearance of the blog until I find time (and figure out how) to make it pretty and unique. For those of you who have known about the "Quad Squad" (as my sister-in-law refers to them) for a while, you may want to skim this because I am going to try to catch everyone else up. Sorry for the length of this first post in advance, because I am going to try to make it through the first 6 weeks of the chaos!
On Feb 17th, after one Clomid cycle, we found out we were expecting. The doctor called me personally that day to inform me that my hormone levels were very high and she was highly suspicious of multiples (I suppose that should have been my first clue). We knew multiples were a possibility due to the fertility treatment, but given our specific circumstances the percentages were not in favor of multiples and certainly not for high order multiples. There was actually only a 50% chance that we would get pregnant at all. Two weeks after the blood test (at 6 weeks in) we went for our first ultrasound. We weren't nervous, Clint and I really thought it wouldn't be more than 2. That was the day that rocked our world and changed our lives in a way that we still don't fully understand! The ultrasound showed 4 sacks with 4 visible heartbeats! Clint and I both started crying. We were terrified and shocked to say the least. An appointment was set up to see a high risk maternal-fetal specialist the next week. At the initial ultrasound there was one baby that had a smaller gestational sack and there was some speculation that it might not make it. I cried for about 48 hours straight and then I finally calmed down a little.
I wish I could say that after 48 hours I was in a better place, but that just isn't true. We saw the high risk doctor at 7 weeks and again were told that baby D had a much smaller gestational sack and may not make it, but that it also could jepordize the entire pregnancy if it did. At this point weekly ultrasounds ensued to monitor baby D. We had ultrasounds at 8 and 9 weeks and then were referred to another maternal-fetal specialist in another city for a consult and second opinion.
This appointment brought the first bright spot, though I have to admit that I still didn't feel that bright afterwards. The doctor there felt that baby D's sack was no longer significantly smaller and did not necessarily pose a threat. He recommended follow up with our maternal-fetal specialist here at home at 12 weeks to re-evaluate. He was very positive and encouraging about my health and the potential outcomes for the babies, but he didn't sugar coat the risks either. In his words "Anyone who tells you that you cannot have a good outcome in a quadruplet pregnancy hasn't seen enough quadruplet pregnancies." This made us feel better, but we were still overwhelmed and frightened. On top of health risks posed to me and the babies we were overwhelmed by how this is going to work out financially, emotionally, how it would affect our marriage and how it would affect our 2 1/2 year old son.
I have to admit that we have been cycling through the 5 stages of grieving over and over, but we can see acceptance on the horizon and may even be starting to get there:) The turning point for me was at 10 weeks when I talked with an amazing woman that I know who has quintuplets. She was so positive and encouraging and immediately jumped on board with doing anything she can to help. I already know that she is going to be such a joy and blessing our lives! In addition to her, I also know another woman who had quadruplets and she too has been a great source of information. I feel so blessed to have these 2 phenomonal women in my life. It was so wonderful to talk to women who understood the conflicting emotions and the roller coaster feelings that are part of my everyday right now and to hear that you make it out the other side intact! How lucky and blessed am I that God has placed these women in my life, because others in this situation are not always so lucky!
At 11 weeks we met the OB we will be using and we loved her. She was also very positive and encouraging in regards to the pregnancy and my specific situation. We are now at 12 1/2 weeks and just had an ultrasound on Wed (our first since the one in Dallas at 9 1/2 weeks). We came home with a very good and positive report. Our maternal-fetal specialist said everything and everyone looks very healthy right now (including baby D). All babies are growing appropriately, all have strong heart rates, all have their own sacks (no identicals) and all have their own placentas (very important for development and nutrition). We discussed some of the specifics regarding care including progesterone injections (to help relax the uterus and hopefully prevent significant contractions for as long as possible), steriod injections for lung development, when I have to stop working and what I am looking forward to the most (said with sarcasm) bedrest in the hospital. The plan right now is that I have to stop working at 20 weeks which is right around the corner and we will discuss hospitalization at 24 weeks. Right now I have to see my high risk doctor for an ultrasound every 2 weeks and my OB every 2-3 weeks. If I do not go into the hospital at 24 weeks, appointments will be weekly. I am really hoping to stay home as long as possible for Jackson's sake. I think it will be really hard on a 2 1/2 year old boy to have his mom in the hospital for 2 months! It would be hard on me to be away from him that much!
In regards to my health, I am feeling pretty good overall. I was having a lot of trouble eating, but that seems to be getting better. I am very tired especially in the evenings and even more so on the days I work. I have good days and bad days. Yesterday and today have been a little rough, but it could always be worse. The worst part for me right now is that I am having very frequent headaches and a lot of dizziness/light headedness. They did some blood work Wednesday. I am not anemic and my glucose was good. My thyroid panels were on the low side of normal (which could be contributing to some of the dizziness) so they are going to re-check in 2 weeks when I go back. So far so good overall. We are very confident in both our high risk doctor and our OB. They have both been so supportive and encouraging and so far they have given the same recommendations. It really boosts our confidence that both doctors are on the same page. It makes us feel like we are on the right track so far.
Our goal is to keep these babies safe and sound in-utero until 32 weeks (Aug 31), but we will not go past 34 weeks. The risk is that they will come earlier and that is a little scary, but we are praying everyday and putting it in God's hands. All we ask for is lots of prayers for a safe and healthy pregnancy and a safe and healthy outcome. We are so appreciative to all the people who have been so encouraging and supportive through all of this even when our attitudes were not the best! Everyday gets a little easier and little better! Right now we are trying to figure out some of the practicalities of going from a family of 3 to a family of 7: where everyone will sleep, how we will buy a new vehicle, how do you juggle a 3 year old and 4 tiny babies, etc. I'm sure we won't figure it all out until we are living it, but at least we can think about it. Time seems to be flying by!
Before I sign off on this first post, I have to give a big thanks to my amazing husband who has been an absolute blessing in my life through this (even though I know he is freaking out too). He has comforted me everytime I get emotional (even when it's stupid) and he has said all the right things. He is an amazing man and I am SO blessed to have him in my life.
God Bless each of you and thank you in advance for the prayers and support in this crazy new adventure that our family is embarking on!
Friday, April 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Thank you for writing this Jackie, I so wish I could have had some way to record my journey but we couldn't get internet connection in the hospital and blog wasn't even a word when I was pregnant over ten years ago. Keep on prayin and keep the faith. God will give you just enough Grace for each moment. Looking forward to this journey. Talk to you soon.
ReplyDeleteI just cried all the way through your fist post! You guys are amazing and I can't wait to read all about your family of 7!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this Jackie. You are a strong woman and I know you will do great just take One Day at a Time. Love ya,
ReplyDeleteCheryl
Jackie and Clint,
ReplyDeleteI worked with Sherry for years at the Elementary School. My son Michael and Clint were in High School together at Knox City High. Thanks for the post and we all wish you the best.
Oh wow guys!!! What an adventure....This blog is perfect to keep track and let others know what the latest is. So my TWIN BOYS are due anytime now and I will have them no later than June 3. I feel super blessed as I am sure you do. How exciting and what a neat experience for you 2 and Mr. Jackson. Congrats!!
ReplyDeleteTotally inspirational Jackie, Clint, Jackson, Brooklyn, Kynlee, Gauge and Weston! :) Congrats to you all, you'll all do fine!
ReplyDeleteI was DX'd with PCOS over 20 years ago and we got serious this year about TTC. We just completed our first round of clomid and are now in the dreaded two week waiting period.
I have to ask.. did you have any early symptoms? Were your symptoms more severe than average?
Warmest Regards,
Trina