Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, April 15, 2011

Movin’ On Up

We are loving our new home! We have been in it for about two weeks and we are settling in well. We have a fabulous, large kitchen that is completely open to the living room, a PLAY AREA (right now the babies are still in the living room all the time, but this will be awesome soon), and four bedrooms. The girls and boys have been separated and Jackson still has his own room. All of the kids’ rooms are right off the play area.

The neighborhood seems great. We met a lot of our neighbors the weekend we moved in and there are so many small children in the houses around us. We can’t wait to really get to know everyone. One neighbor who has 5 year old boy-girl twins and a 1 year old girl, has even come by to bring me baby girl hand-me-downs. How sweet was that!?

As I previously mentioned, we don’t have internet, t.v., or home phone yet (waiting on installation due to backed up work orders), hence the complete and total neglect of the blog. But, it hasn’t been an all bad thing either.

So, how was the move with 4 babies and Jackson? Not too bad. I had a friend watch them on the Friday that we moved and my mom, mother-in-law, sisters and a friend helped me get everything put away quickly to decrease the chaos and clutter! The move itself went pretty smoothly, it was the events that followed the move that created stress . .

If you will remember back to about a month and a half ago (this is where you would hear the tinkling flashback sound and see the blurry waviness if it were t.v.). We had a flood at our previous house, exactly one month before we moved out. What could be worse than that . . . well, a flood in the new house on your second night might not be worse, but it certainly is equal. That’s right, our main plumbing lines were apparently blocked unbeknownst to us. We had noticed the guest toilet bubbling on Friday, and the master shower and kitchen sink were both draining slowly, so we planned to call our builder first thing Monday morning (the house was existing, but it was new construction). Well, why wait until Monday when you can have a flood on Saturday night. Clint had left to go watch a basketball game with a buddy and had showered right before he left. Well, the water in the shower wouldn’t drain. A little while later, I walked into the master bathroom to find it an inch deep in water. The water was coming out of the bottom of the toilet and the best I can tell, it started when my mom started the dishwasher. Then, both bathtubs started backing up with brown water, as well as the kitchen sink! Since the builder lives next door to us (that’s right), I went next door and told him that our house was flooding and I needed him to take care of it. He quickly got a plumber to our house and the lines were flushed and the flooding was stopped (and yes I did call Clint home to help with this crisis, I couldn’t let him miss out on the fun). After everyone was gone (quite late), I started in with the bleach. The water was gross and smelled terrible. I didn’t have much bleach left, so at midnight, I sent Clint to Walmart for more bleach and I finished cleaning close to 1 a.m. Whew! Talk about an eventful move. There was some carpet damage in our room and in our closet, but that has been taken care of. It wasn’t fun, but at least this flood was on someone else's dime!

That sounds like enough fun for one week right . . . WRONG! Then the washing machine stopped draining, UGH! That turned out to be a really easy fix, but low and behold there was more! On our first Tuesday in the house, Jackson got home from school hungry and a little cranky. I was cleaning up the kitchen and had the dishwasher door open. He asked (demanded) I get him something to eat, but didn’t know what he wanted. When I asked him again what he wanted, he got in front of me and put both hands on my legs to push/steer me to the refrigerator (I was moving backward). The back of my legs ran into the dishwasher door, I lost my balance and landed right on top of the dishwasher door. I was literally sitting on the open dishwasher door. It was bent all out of place and I was so upset! However, he had someone out to look at it and there is no leaking, and he realigned it as best he could, so we are still able to use it. Thank goodness!

Other than that the transition has been fairly smooth (insert a little nervous laughter here). I am itching to get to know the neighbors and I can’t wait to paint more rooms (I painted the kitchen before we moved in). We are glad the hard part is over though!! We’re even hosting an Easter egg hunt at our house with several friends next weekend! Gotta love having a reason to have friends over and a house big enough to do it! (I’ll post pictures of the house soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment