Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Five Is Greater Than Four

Okay, so I know that this seems abundantly obvious . . . but, I learned last week that five is exponentially greater than four. That may not seem possible, but when you are speaking in terms of children (four being infants and one being a 3 year old) this is VERY true.

I honestly think that you could add a fifth infant to the mix (without the 3 year old of course) and it would be easier for me than the four infants and the one 3 year old that I have. Don't get me wrong a fifth infant would definitely be hard, but it's the dynamic of multiple infants with the 3 year old that creates the most stress for me. Last week, I got a taste of life with only 4 babies and while it was still challenging, I experienced significantly less stress. I'm not blaming Jackson for the stress, it is the dynamic created by him WITH the babies and unfortunately, I think Jackson catches the brunt of my stress, because how do you ask infants to be less demanding!?

Jackson handles it beautifully for the most part, but I think he enjoyed a lower stress week as well, where no one was asking him to wait until babies were fed or telling him to stop everytime he turned around (just for the little things that 3 year olds do that are not appropriate when there are infants). Yesterday we were all back together and we had a little bit of a rough day. Honestly I think it was mostly Mommy's fault. The babies had not slept well meaning Mommy had not slept well and therefore everyone was cranky and Mommy's patience was thin. Today was better. More sleep = less stress. Jackson went to daycare for most of the day, but even when he got home we had a better day!!

This is just part of the adjustment process. We are all still feeling our way around the new obstacles in our lives, but I feel like everyday it gets a little better overall and we are figuring out how to be the family we have become. I was actually sitting feeding babies tonight and thinking about what a beautiful family I have and how normal this is beginning to feel (except for the occasional moments when I still think,"Oh my goodness, I HAVE FOUR BABIES!" :)

I continue to pray for patience in the difficult moments and give thanks for the truly beautiful ones!

3 comments:

  1. I will also be praying for patience for you. I know it can be hard with 2 little ones so I can't even imagine 5! I know that if anyone can get through the rough days with grace and composure it's you. Hang in there mommy, you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever need ANY kind of help just let me know!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right!! We have a singleton boy 3yrs & 1mo older than our quads. When he is gone, it is a huge difference. Ours are over 2 now, so in the future try this. If we are both home with the kids and one of us is going out to run errands or whatever, that person will take Will (our big boy) and 1 quad. It is still not too much for the person running errands and the person at home with *only* 3 toddlers feels like they're on vacation!

    ReplyDelete