Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Theology: A Debate Among 4 Year olds

Brooklyn looooves Jesus!  The girl talks about Him all the time!  She says and asks some deep things about life and faith.  It makes my heart happy that she already demonstrates so much faith, but we often joke that her relationship with Jesus is because Jesus is keeping her under his thumb (she's kind of naughty and definitely as the potential to be a "wild child", so we think maybe Jesus is keeping her close)!  Examples of this relationship . . . 

"Momma, when it is the end of the world, will our story be over?"  This deep question was asked while she was swinging in the backyard.  Poppo happened to be here , and quickly replied by telling her, "Actually, our story will just be beginning."  I was grateful for his quick response, because I was rendered speechless by this question, though he followed up his response by asking her, "But do you know when the end of the world is because I'd like to know and sometimes I think you know things?"

One day when she was sick, she fell asleep on the chair and when she woke up, she stood, looked around the room and very quietly and reverently said, "Jesus is the light."  Then she walked away, leaving me a little bewildered as to where that had come from.  

Earlier this year, she looked at me one day and did the "I love you" sign with her hand, then stated, "Jesus died on the cross like this (indicating her hand), because he loves us."  

Do you see what I mean.  And these are only the specific things I can remember!!  She talks constantly about Jesus and Mary, She loves to answer questions about Jesus and she asks lots of questions when we are at church, that is when she is not conducting the singing of the people behind us!

Now that you have the background, let's get on the theological debate that recently occurred at my house:

The other day, Brooklyn came running in to me VERY upset saying, "Momma, tell Westin I can talk to Jesus ANYWHERE!"

I of course confirmed that this was true, just as Westin came running in behind her yelling, "NO, you can only talk to Jesus at church, He can only hear you at church."

Brooklyn started screaming back as I defended her point while Westin repeatedly screamed (and yes, I truly mean he screamed), "You are wrong, you are both wrong!  Jesus is only at church." 

Well, the debate got pretty hot and heavy and culminated in Brooklyn slapping Westin across the face, at which point I had to remind her that Jesus can also see her hit her brother.

I finally calmed the two of them by promising to take them to see the priest at church so we could get some answers.  Westin was very excited about this . . . little did he know that he was going to be told he was wrong . . .

I made an appointment for the following day with Father Rudi.  By the time we got there, Westin was beginning to come around, but he still wanted to hear it from Father.  Before we get in to what the priest told my kids, let me just start by saying that I am super grateful for such an amazing priest at our church.  He was so good to my kids and did an excellent job of balancing the conversation and keeping them engaged!

When we got into Father Rudi's office, he offered each kid candy in exchange for a hug.  It took longer for some than others, but they all eventually gave hugs and were rewarded.  He asked the kids their names, and what they liked to do and then got to the discussion on Jesus.  He obviously confirmed that Brooklyn was, in fact, correct.  We can talk to Jesus anywhere, because he is present EVERYWHERE, even in the attic (as Brooklyn pointed out during the discussion)!  

We also got some bonus lessons on:  Listening to your mommy and daddy and how to behave in church.  It was great!  The listening lesson came about when Fr Rudi asked what they had eaten for lunch and I told hi that no one had eaten well and we had just been discussing this problem in the car.  He immediately told them that Jesus told us to listen to our parents.  He asked them several questions following this lesson:

Fr. Rudi: When your mommy asks you to eat, you . . .
Kids: EAT!
Fr. Rudi: When you mommy asks you to clean up, you . . . 
Kids: CLEAN!
Fr. Rudi: When you mommy tells you to play, you . . .
Kids: PLAY!
Fr. Rudi: When your mommy tells you to pray, you . . .
Kids: PRAY!
Fr. Rudi: When your mommy tells you to sleep, you . . .
Kids: SLEEP!

As we left Fr. Rudi's office that day, he had introduced the kids to everyone in the office and he asked them to repeat the three lessons they had learned:  Jesus is everywhere, Jesus tells you to listen to your mommy and daddy and Jesus wants us to be quiet and respectful in church!  One of the deacons told the kids that they were probably ahead of most of the congregation!!! :-)  When we said good-bye, Father Rudi thanked me for bringing them in because is made his day, but he has no idea how much I enjoyed it myself!

This is experience was great for many reasons.  1) It gave my children an opportunity to explore faith and an opportunity to understand the we can turn to the church for answers.  2) It was a lesson in conflict resolution.
3) It allowed them to begin to cultivate a relationship with our wonderful priest.  4) For at least and hour and a half, whenever someone was not listening, they reminded each other that "Father Rudi said we have to listen to our mommy and daddy!  (We may need to make this a monthly meeting just for this reason!)

In addition to these lessons, we got a few funny moments in the days that followed the meeting . . . When we left, Father Rudi loaded up a bag with candy for them to take home (just what every mom needs) and told them that they could have some after dinner that night if they listened to mommy and ate their dinner!  So . . . the NEXT night after dinner, Kynlee asked for candy.  I said no and Kynlee immediately told me, "But GOD said I could if I ate my dinner!"  This made me laugh!!  Our other funny following this meeting . . a couple of nights after the meeting with Fr. Rudi, Brooklyn was throwing a fit about going to bed.  She did not want to sleep!  I reminded her what Fr. Rudi had taught her about Jesus telling us to listen to our parents.  At this reminder, Brooklyn yelled in significant frustration, "We NEVER should have gone to see Father Rudi!"  I thought I was going to die laughing!!  Kids . . . never a dull moment!

Now when we enter church, Father Rudi hugs or high fives all the kids and this past weekend he even included them in his homily (sermon for those that are not Catholic).  We went to Mass on Saturday evening and sat in the front row.  He referenced his discussion with the "quadruplets that were debating where and when Jesus is present."  He then asked them the same questions he asked in his office about what to do when your mommy asks you to do something and surprisingly they answered in front of the whole church!  It was a good start to a homily about obedience and Jesus' presence in our lives.

Great memories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment